That is, environmentalism specifically or leftism generally. I wrote about this recently, but Powerline passed on a link to an article in Medium “calling attention to how the climate change fanatics resemble nothing so much as a full-blown religious cult“.
The Medium article itself references and discusses the contents of a web page from the Cult Education Institute site that enumerates the “[t]en warning signs of a potentially unsafe group/leader“. Powerline also includes this discussion, but I’ll just give the list below.
- Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.
- No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
- No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.
- Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.
- There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.
- Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.
- There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.
- Followers feel they can never be “good enough”.
- The group/leader is always right.
- The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing “truth” or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.