FDR, in this case. It started with a Tweet (it often does):
Other than the internment of the Japanese, how was FDR a terrible person?
To which someone created a nice little list below (reformatted):
- Supreme Court packing
- destroying food during G.Depression while ppl went hungry to stabilize prices
- Stealing/Nationalizing gold held by private ppl
- praising/copying & pasting fascist policies for National Recovery Act
- Prolonging th Great Depression
- making deal behind Chruchill’s back giving half of Europe to Stalin
- turning away Holocaust refugees…
I don’t agree with the phrasing of some of the entries. In particular, unless the term “fascist” is the generic left-wing, the fact is that much of FDR’s admin was filled with socialist/communist types (see The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes), so those were socialist/communist policies for the NRA and lots of other (failed) programs.